Feb 4, 2008

The Fav. Five

Through conversations with friends and family over the last few months some common questions are constantly raised about Madagascar and my term of service. Here are the answers to what I call the "Favorite Five."

1. What will you do?

I'm an Environmental Education volunteer, specific duties are still vague and they will probably remain that way until I am assigned to work in a particular community and/or partner organization. All I know is that my work will relate to National Resource Management. I could be placed in a school, working for a national park, or a local NGO. I could be developing environmental education materials, expanding eco-tourism practices and/or sharing responsible agricultural practices.

2. Do they train you?

I leave February 18th for two days of staging in Washington DC were I'll review PC practices, policies, procedures, and a few "get ready" for crazy culture shock exercises. From DC I will fly to Madagascar and begin two months of training. Training will consist of spending long days, six days a week learning/experiencing everything from Malagasy culture, developmental practices, and specific environmental issues/solutions.

3. What will you eat?

Lots of rice! Rice will be a staple, but from what I've read I should have a rather diverse diet. It’s a tropical climate and they do grow fruits and vegetables as well. I've also been told that it’s common in the Peace Corps for women to gain weight and men lose. This is because of the high carbohydrate and low protein diet. Let's just say I've been eating a lot of chicken the past few weeks.

4. Where will you live?

I'll live with a host family throughout my two months of training. From that point it depends on the community I will be matched with. Housing could be already set-up through PC or a partnering organization. I could have to find an apartment/place for rent that meets specific PC qualifications. Some placements require that the volunteer stay with a host family throughout the entire term of service. What will I need to do? Time will tell!

5. What happens when you get sick?

It’s going to happen and I'm told the first couple of months are the most difficult. Peace Corps has great support services for volunteers. I'll have access to a health team specifically for in-country PC volunteers. I'll get a physical and dental examine halfway through my term of service. I'll be taking anti-malarial drugs and have access to drugs/services needed to slay any of those pesky parasites I'll host over the next 27 months.

Not a “Fav Five,” but a common question.
What Language do they speak?

Malagasy. Its Madagascar's distinct language with influences from Indonesia, Kiswahili and Arabic (I think). Anyhow, French is also spoken in more populated areas and among the educated.

Till next time, Veloma!

No comments: