Apr 2, 2008

My Site Visit--A Reality Check

Just a few words regarding my site visit last week.

Last Wednesday all our couterparts (the gatekeepers to our community) were flown from all over Madagascar for a little conference PC style. They met us (PC Trainees), learned about Peace Corps and its policies. After a short (it felt short) meet and greet. I hopped on a plane to Fort Dauphin. A popular tourist site and a future mining location (strip mining for a titanium deposit used to make white dyes). My village is about 60k north of Fort Dauphin in the commune of Saite Luce, made of three small villages (Manafiafy, Ambandrika, and Ampanasantomboka). My house is in Ambandrika. Its a small fishing community, with little farming. All I saw was Cassava (a tuber plant) with the occasional pineapple. They have a great need for the introduction of vegitables(any. Mal-nutrition in rampant, and healthcare is non-existent. I spent my last morning having a cup of coffee, trying not to focus on the little girl in front of me with flies swarming here burnt arm from when she fell on the fire. The mining company built a hospital, but it hasn't seen a doctor since it was contructed a few years ago(?). My NGO built a house and latrine to help attract a doctor. Anyway, enough of this....WELCOME TO THE PEACE CORPS

My site resembles nothing like the small rice community I've been training in. The soil is sand and trees are sparse because of deforestation. My NGO is working on reforstization projects (tree planting etc.).

Good news! My house is rather large and I had an opportunity to walk the 14K to Mahatalaky on Monday to see the weekly market. I was impressed with the variety of food and should have a rather varied diet with the vegtibles I'll be growing thrown into the mix. Also, PC will give me a bike so it should only be an hour ride, rather than a 6 hour walk both ways.

I was really impressed with the communities embrace. I was under the impression that I was requested by my NGO on the community's behalf. But I met with the President of Saite Luce and the Mayor of Mahatalaky--both very supportive. I was paraded around the three villages and introduced at formal meetings (my language is still really weak-so my kobary (speech) will wait till I get installed.

In closing, I have a lot of challenges ahead and I'm still processing the last five days. I'm also a little sick. I'm eager to take advantage of my five weeks of training, so I can "hit the ground running."
Sorry about any spelling/english mistakes-I hope it makes sense, I have no time to edit!

Best,

No comments: