Apr 24, 2008

I'm a changed Man!

Now that the chapter of my host family experience here in Madagascar is now over, it seems appropriate for me to list a few highlights (cultural indicators) from the experience that reminded me I';m not in America anymore.

1- The priceless look on my host mother's face my first night when I gave her a box of cookies and she discovered that they had been open...I got a little hungry.

2- Awkward communication with family and others in the village I wont list them. (Lost of frustration around gift giving the last few days).

3- The one year old peeing on the floor in the middle of lunch one day, and the awkward silence that followed.

4- Six-year-olds' taking care of two-year-olds'--a long way from the American daycare system.

5- Cutting a tomato and having my host mom tell me I'm really "smart." She must have had really low expectations.

6- The one-year-old playing with a knife and it was OKAY with everyone.

7- Eating whole fired little fish-for some reason a feeling of comfort came over me when I found out they fished them from the rice field...*Side note: all kinds of little edible creatures come from the rice field once rice is harvested...who knew...?

8- the mysterious light bulbs that hang from strings in a few houses, despite no electricity (I think ites a decoration/status thing)

9- Being told I look like a movie star / Prince Harry / David Beckham.

10- Hitting my head on everthing (i.e. doorways).

11- Eating lots of rice--once you accpet it, its not a meal without it.

12- The Sur'Eau bottles that began to line the shelf in the kitchen as weeks past. PC provides it to host families every week to clean cooking water and soak veggies. I was told it was being used.

13- A crazy Easter I'll never forget, known as "Mitsangasanga."

14-Putting Nicole in awkward sistuations during the first five weeks of language class--it took Fanjava a few weeks until she undertood my sense of humor.

15- On our first tech-trip Stan (the Env. PA) turning to me in the car and saying in broken English "yea...this is the enviornment" --he overheard me complaining about the roads.

16- The chicken that got in my room.

17- Cell phones -"Hello, Hello, Hello....*hang up*"

18- The intense Domie Games with the Family and Family friends.

19- The 1 pm afternoon radio soap opera.

20- the radio with one volume set at LOAD @ 4 in the morning.

In closing...I will MISS Mahitsitady.

SHOUT OUT!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BROTHER BRYAN

&

CHEERS TO JOANIE AND MIKE PERKINS...THEY ARE GETTING MARRIED THIS WEEKEND!

MISS YOU ALL!

best,
Brendan

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wedding was def a good time, a lot of people were asking about you, and I got the chance to talk to Redick for he sat at our table. He gets a post-card and Joanie and I don't WTF...hahaha

The snake accompanied me and we let it all out, good times....

I love the countdowns keep them coming, absolutely entertaining...(I love numbers 7 and 10)

here a few things like internet radio (so you know what's happening here in the states)

www.snapfm.com

The Yankees aren't in first and I'm a bit upset about that, hopefully we'll win today

Louis is graduating May 23rd, what debauchery that happens after that remains to be seen....

I'll be e-mailing this a lot of people, so hopefully you can get more responses back...

One love (my boo, hahahaha)

Ghetto

joknee48 said...

Hey man. Just realized I could leave a comment on here after seeing Ghetto do it. The wedding was great. Definitely was not the same without you there. Is your mailing address still the same? I finally am prepared to go to the post office haha.

Big news. baby number two is on the way!!! Love ya and miss ya!

Joanie

Anonymous said...

So what are you trying to say? I realized how easy this was after seeing Ghetto do it...implying stupidity.....haha

Tom / Drac / ToWi said...

Yo, Brendan!
Finally catching up -- actually, haven't read the very beginning, but I know what's up since you've left Washington, at least.

I'm writing because you have not RSVP'd for the Bike Race, thus far. I'm starting to get worried. It's coming up in another week on Sunday, June 8th. You need to logon to Facebook to respond to the Event Invite. lol

Sounds like you're having an interesting time.

And, maybe you've been forced into near vegetarianism. I could do pretty well over there.

I hope you're not losing much weight -- you didn't have any to lose when you left town.
--"Drac"

mom said...

Hi Brendan,

We all miss you!! If you have not already heard.......Our man Obama has won the democratic spot! I am so glad I don't have to change my lawn sign!
Dad and Kiki and Bryan and Amalie and Kyle all send their love. We were together this past weekend for Cory's graduation party. You were talked about often.
We are moving grandmom into a smaller apartment this week.....in the same bldg. I will follow this news with a long letter of explanation. We are fine and hope you are as well. I will be in touch.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Mrs Ward,

Is Brendan's mailing address still the same over there? I have something I want to mail him but I was wondering if it possibly changed due to him being done with a part of training.

Joanie

Anonymous said...

Joanie,
The last time I spoke with Brendan ( 6 Weeks ago ) he did not have a new address to give and said to continue sending to the original address and the mail should find him.
Congratulations on your wedding and the great news about the new baby!!
mom (K Ward )

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mrs Ward. I will send it to the address he has on his page. Also, thank you for the congratulations on the wedding and the baby. I'm sad because Uncle Brendan won't be back by the time the baby is born in January. Hope everything is well with your family.

Joanie